Karpenisi, Evrytania, located in the foothills of the Velouchi Mountains in central Greece, partnered with Asheville in 2004.
- Population 10,100
- Beautiful towering mountains, heavenly rivers, and fresh sycamore trees
- Participated in activities for the organization and execution of the World Congress in July. Members hosted delegates from Greece and Mexico.
- Planned and executed a fund raising “Greek Dinner” at the Mediterranean Restaurant ( thanks Pete and Paula Apostolopoulos for your donation of space, time and misc. food items). The event raised $2,030.00 and portion of that ($1,400.00) was used to assist delegates from Karpenisi with travel expenses to attend the World Congress.
- Participated in youth fund raising effort (pastry sale) at Haywood Park Hotel.
- Worked with our representative in Karpenisi, Leonidas Papadopoulos, to establish goals and objectives for 2006-2007.
- Work through Sister Cities International to supply five wheel chairs to Karpenisi residents in need.
- Establish a formal Sister Cities organization in Karpenisi (adapt by-laws, elect officers etc.)
- Plan and execute another fundraiser (most likely a “Greek Night”) with benefits going toward paying travel expenses for two teenagers from Karpenisi to attend the International Conference in Washington, D.C. or visit Asheville.
- Identify up to ten teenagers in Karpenisi that are interested in being involved in Sister Cities activities. Exchange E-mail addresses with teenagers in Asheville, Vladikavkaz, San Cristobal, and Saumur.
- Meet with the Mayor of Karpenisi and/or our representative in Karpenisi during their visit to Charlotte, NC in June. Invite them for a visit to Asheville. If time permits.
The ASCI Karpenisi Committee can be reached by email at: rlutovsky(at)gmail.com
(Please highlight the above email address, copy it, then paste it into an email, replacing "(at)" with @.)